We had 115 people attend our first Q&A event, which featured 48th District Congressional Candidates Laura Oatman & Boyd Roberts. The event was held at Carden Conservatory on Saturday June 17 from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m..
Each candidate had 10 minutes to introduce themselves. Then they each had 2-minutes to answer the following questions:
- Which environmental protections are important to you and how will you balance them with economic growth?
- What is your stance on Citizens United and how to combat voter suppression?
- Do you support the single-payer healthcare bill?
- How will you determine the needs and wants of residents regardless of voter status?
- What two Women’s Rights issues are most important to you?
- Where do you stand on Gun Control?
- What would you do to preserve K-12 public education?
- Do you support a $15.00/hour livable wage?
- What do you think of the proposed Poseidon Desalination project in HB?
- What do you plan on doing to increase voter turn out in the midterm elections?
After the candidate Q&A we had all five of our HB Huddle Action Teams report what they’ve been working on. Here is the PowerPoint that was shared: Presentation report for HB Huddle
Environment Team Update by Karen Coyne
-The group participated in the Surf Rider Foundations Beach clean-up and had a meeting afterward featuring two speakers
-The first speaker was Antonia Castro-Graham to discuss CCA’s/CCE’s and the second was Ray Hiemstra to discuss the Poseidon Desalination Project
-The group has created three committees to focus on local policies regarding 1) Energy 2) Water 3) Toxin-free HB. Details can be found in their most recent Meeting Minutes.
-The Energy Committee is focused on CCE’s (Community Choice Energy), The Water Committee is working hand-in-hand with R4RD and Coast Keeper on combating Posiedon’s Desal project. Toxin-Free HB will work hand in hand with HB Tomorrow to see that we have a fully executed Toxic-Free HB plan in place before year end.
Healthcare Team Update by Christian Mach
-Mach described the latest happenings on both Trumpcare and on SB-562.
-To read more about SB-562 visit http://www.healthycaliforniaact.org
-To help other Regional Organizers in their efforts to support SB-562. Join the following Facebook page: Medicare For All Orange County
-To read the Economic Analysis of Single-Payer recently released by the University of Massachusetts visit this link to the Political Economy Research Institute
Local Elections Team Update by Brendon Perkins
Perkins went over the recent accomplishments of the Team’s four committees:
- Voter Outreach (trained over 30 people at Voter Registration Training in June)
- Education (spoke at West Dem Club of OC & published two research docs on website)
- Services & Social (collected $240 to give to Robyne’s Nest and collected another $140 during the meeting)
- Direct Action (helped coordinate the Q&A and is organizing HB Huddle presence at City Council meetings)
The next Local Elections Meeting is scheduled for July 20 from 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM (6:15 for Networking and Light Refreshments) at the Summerlane Clubhouse 5245 Foxglove Drive, Huntington Beach, CA 92649.
#NoBanNoWall Team Update by Shayna Lathis
Lathis went over the Team’s recent developments on the following areas:
- SB54 California Values Act
- Oak View Literacy Training started
- World Refugee Day June 20
- Please donate to UNICEF or Save the Children Refugee Relief
- Signs of white nationalism infographic
- There next meeting is TBD. For updates and links to their Facebook group please visit their page
Women’s Rights Team Update by Hayley Buchanan
-We are looking for t-shirt designs to raise funds for our group to support Planned Parenthood and other women’s rights efforts in the community.
-They established three policy areas to help the group focus their research. For full Meeting Minutes visit their page.
-Their next Team Meeting is Sunday July 9 from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM 625 Suzy’s House -Taper Drive, Seal Beach, CA 90740.
During the Action Team reports we collected donations to cover the cost of the room. $497 was collected and Bethany deposited it into the HB Huddle bank account. Dispersal of funds will be voted on at the next Steering Team meeting on July 11th. Location will be announced in the Friday newsletter.
Our next meeting is on Sat. July 15th at the Huntington Harbor Yacht Club from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Click here for our Facebook Event page.
In the meantime here are a couple more quotes from our speakers…
“I’m a momma bear on steroids and I don’t want to see anybody left behind.” -Laura Oatman
For more on Laura visit: https://oatmanforcongress.com/my-platform
“I’m 100% Bernie.” -Boyd Roberts
For more on Boyd visit: https://www.boydrobertsforcongress.com/issues